You are here
Home > LATEST NEWS > No disease outbreak, assures Health Ministry

No disease outbreak, assures Health Ministry


The Health Ministry says that all possible action had been taken to prevent a disease outbreak due to the collapse of the Meethotamulla Garbage Dump on Friday (14).

A spokesman for the Health Ministry said the situation was being closely monitored by the Provincial Director Health Services (PDHS), the MOH and the Public Health Inspectors (PHIs) in the area. The National Hospital and all Health Institutions had also been kept on standby, he said.

There was no risk of a disease outbreak as all contributing factors such as the hygienic conditions, food and the water supplies were being closely watched.

Director of the National Hospital, Dr Anil Jasinghe, contacted for comment, said three victims of Friday’s tragedy were still being treated. One of them was in the ICU, he said.

Meanwhile, the Disaster Management Centre (DMC) said the death toll from the garbage dump collapse had increased to 30 by yesterday afternoon while more than 30 persons were still missing. Six children were amongst those killed, the DMC said.

More than 900 persons belonging to 228 families were affected by the disaster.

96 Total Views 1 Views Today

Leave a Reply

Top